Thursday, April 26, 2012

One day at a time

Now that we know that we are staying for in Virginia for a while, we can now move forward with home improvements and beautification.  There's only one major problem:  the budget.  Initially, we had to prioritize the areas we were going to renovate.  So first up is the kitchen.  The renovation is to commence in May.  Josh has scheduled the floors to be replaced the second week of May, then the cabinets will arrive after that.  Josh will be doing the demo and installation of the cabinets.  All of these will happen while Sam and I visit family in Texas.  I am extremely excited to have a brand new kitchen, I hope everything goes well.  


Despite the prioritization that we did and my excitement over a new kitchen, I am obsessed with our bathroom.  Our town home has an odd layout...at least for me.  We have 3 bedrooms in the second floor and 1 bathroom.  In our basement, there is a room ( I don't think it counts as a bedroom because it has no window) and a bathroom as well.  There's a small living area which we currently use as an office, but I plan on converting it as Sam's playroom/office.  Here's my beef with the upstairs bathroom:  the previous owners decided it would be cost effective to use a one tile from floor to ceiling.  So the tiles on the floor are the same tiles on the wall.  It would've been so bad if the tiles are half decent.  They're these shade of reddish brick and cream almost brown shade.  Don't get me wrong, my favorite color is red, but not this red.  Since the bathroom has no window, I feel the tiles make the bathroom extremely dark.  Another beef that with that bathroom is the glass shower door.  I find glass shower doors harder to clean and they collect soap scums easier.  With a little one using the tub, I get a little bit obsessive cleaning it.  


Now I know that remodeling the bathroom wasn't part of the plan.  However, as we were choosing our cabinets, Home Depot had a deal going on and we were able to score an extra cabinet.  Since we were getting granite countertops anyway, we figured we could use the extra cabinet in the bathroom and just replace the countertop as well with the granite.  Josh has agreed to remove the tiles off the wall and replace it with water resistant dry wall.  It seemed like a good idea at first and i'm actually excited that the bathroom will get face lift.  However, as I continue to stare at the shower area every time i'm in the bathroom, I get more and more agitated.  I've watched enough DIY shows to realize that it can be done.  I just need money.  LOL.  


So for now, i'll just have to deal with it one day at a time.  I wish I was a DIY kind of gal.  In the meantime, I will just have to wait to either get more money, or for Josh to have more time to fix this house.  And hopefully someday, when we are ready to move, we will find the perfect place where we won't have to fix anything.  A girl can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment