Sunday, August 21, 2011

Is it really Sunday?

Now that I no longer work, i've been losing track of days.  It's been so busy and hectic lately trying to adjust to East coast time, having Sam start a new routine and adjust to east cost time, and cleaning and making a comfortable home for us, that sometimes I forget the time, day, or date.  I even thought it was still July.  So today I woke up and Josh was still in bed.  Sam was starting to fuss in his crib, and it was only 6:30 AM. Of course his alarm went off (poopy diaper is his wake up call), and so he needed to be changed.  Since he didn't want to settle down, I fed him his breakfast, and I wondered why the parking lot in front of our house is still full.  I realized it's Sunday.  Already!?!!?!

I didn't realize that this is our third weekend here in VA.  The first weekend we were here was a blur.  I don't remember it at all.  The second weekend, Josh went on his monthly drill in Andrews AFB.  And now our third.  So how did we spend this weekend?  Well first off, I gave up my Hawaii license and car tags yesterday.  Virginia DMV has got to have the worst DMV i've ever been too.  Not only was the wait long (first you have to line up to get a number at the information desk where they "make sure" you have all the papers in necessary, then they give you a number and you wait for them to call your number), customer service is non-existent.  The guy(s) that help me were stern and "no-nonsense."  Not even a smile, or "what can I help you with?"  Since i've been waiting, i've already pre-filled my paper work except for the things that I really don't know how to answer.  One of the question was, when did I buy my car.  Heck if I remember!  I know it was September 2006 and so I told him so, but NO!  He wanted the exact date.  So I made up one...well, I think it was close enough.  And then there was the picture taking for my license.  No such thing as "stand there by the white wall."  It's more like "take your picture." So I said, "here?" and so he responds "yes." So I wait and wait for him to take a picture, he kept fiddling with his computer and I started talking to Sam waiting for him to give me further instruction, and then all of a sudden, a flash!  I am very interested to see what the picture will be in my driver's license.  I won't be surprised if I was cross eyed or making funny faces.  So in all, the guy was a total jerk and I hope I won't have to deal with him anytime soon.  The sad part is, I probably will keep a crappy looking license for the next 7 years.

After our CRAZY stint at the DMV, we went shopping in Ikea.  I love Ikea.  It's cheap and they have cheap food, especially their chocolate cake.  I could spend hours there looking at household items, but of course neither Josh nor Sam will allow me.  So we got what we needed (including a late lunch/snack consisting of Swedish meatballs with mash potato, gravy, and lingonberry sauce, plus a slice of chocolate cake) and hopped over to Babies r Us which of course is Sam's favorite store.  We got Josh a jogging stroller and some other necessities.   Then off to home we go.

Today was an equally busy day.  Like I said, Sam was up quite early.  After his breakfast, we decided to go back to bed and watched Nick Jr.  While Sam watched Blues Clues, I ended up falling asleep, and eventually, Sam did too.  We had to scrap our plans of going to church since by the time Sam and I woke up, it was nearly 10 AM.  So instead, Josh decided to finish painting the living room while Sam and I lazily watched more Nick Jr.  Glad we missed Olivia this time.  After Sam ate his lunch, we were off to Target for more shopping, then ended up driving to DC to buy a kitchen cart that we wanted from Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  Out of all the 10 stores near our area, they only had the item in DC.  It was a worthwhile trip since we found out that the item was on clearance, I could use my 20% off coupon and I saved $100!  So it was all worth driving...not that I was the one driving.

I realize as I am writing this that all we have been doing is going out to buy "stuff" for the house.  I can't recall doing anything "leisurely" in the past 3 weeks.  I am hoping that in the next 2 weeks that everything will start to settle down.  Our couch will be delivered this Thursday, the living has been painted with the color of my choosing, and the TV will be in place.  Eventually, we should be able to finish painting the dining area, and hopefully unpack the rest of our things.  It's a slow process and it can get a bit frustrating, but I know it will all be done in due time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment