Friday, August 19, 2011

The joys of being a stay home mom and housewife

It's been over a month since I stopped working to be a full time mom to Sam and a house wife.  There are days when I miss working, I miss the mental challenge, being with colleagues and friends, and the financial independence.  Now that I no longer have that, I have to find ways to stimulate my brain and save money.  I'm learning to coupon -- not the extreme couponer that other people are, but I get ecstatic when I save at least $25 at the grocery. I am learning to stick to buying the necessities rather than on the basis of wanting to try it because it's new or because it looks cool.  This is one thing you don't learn in school...I am getting to see the other side of just being a mom and wife.


Now that I am home with Sam, I get to see every change that he goes through.  Just in the last month, he got his two upper front teeth, learned how to sit on his own, and now he is learning to crawl and about to pop two more teeth (he will probably have 6 by the end of this month).  He is also learning to stand in his crib.  His fine motor skills are improving.  He is now able to pick up his snacks using pincer grasp.  He claps when he feels like it and when mommy kisses his lips, he opens his mouth and sticks his tongue out :).  These are little joys that if I was working, I wouldn't be able to see when it first occurs.  I feel really blessed.  


Our house is coming along better.  Today, we received the window shades that we ordered online and Josh has installed them.  We are halfway done with painting the living room and the new carpet is looking nice and clean.  Now if only they would already deliver our couch, the living room will be almost complete.  


Even with our new home and adventures, I still miss Hawaii once in a while.  I miss my family and friends, and i'm sure that Sam misses his grandparents and aunts.  Even though we skype on a daily basis, it's not enough.  Four more months and we get to go back for Sam's first birthday.  Time sure do fly.  I am looking forward to more adventures but in the meantime, I will be cleaning, vacuuming, and decorating this house!

2 comments:

  1. maybe the "financial independence" is the first thing i will miss if ever i'll get marry, and from time to time, missing manila and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure. I got used to having my own money and buying things that I want, that I had to adjust with budgeting, and of course using coupons to save money. It's all good though. I'm enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete